Let’s get those grills out and cleaned and ready for the family gatherings! This is the time to give the grill a complete cleaning and maintenance overhaul. Be sure to have on hand venturi brushes to clean those areas that spiders like to hide in and create havoc. Spiders are attracted to the smell of gas or propane. Make sure the burners are clean and ready for the season. You would like to have degreaser and a sturdy grid scrubber on hand, and possibly high temp paint to freshen it up on the exterior for those that do not have a baked enamel or stainless steel lid. Check your propane level on your tanks, so that you don’t run out of fuel before finishing your meal.
General Grilling Tips-
When grilling, follow one guiding principle: moisture must be retained for tender, juicy and flavourful meat. The following tips will help accomplish this:
1. Do not salt meat before cooking.
2. Turn meat each time bubbles appear on the surface so that the moisture goes back into the steak. (Steak should only require turning once or twice.)
3. Barbecue sauce is best applied towards the end of cooking to prevent burning.
4. To prevent food from sticking, you can brush or rub cooking oil on the cooking grids. CAUTION: Never spray oil onto the grid while burners are on; apply vegetable oil on grids.
5. Use long-handled tongs to turn steaks and roasts; spatulas to turn burgers and fish. Do not use a fork, as piercing the flesh allows the flavorful juices to escape.
Happy Grilling Season Everyone!